Oct 2014 - : PhD in Applied Stochastic Modelling, Cardiff University.
- Supervisors: Prof. Paul Harper & Dr. Vincent Knight
- Jointly funded by ABUHB & Cardiff University.
- Modelling of patient flows & working at the interface of a healthcare organisation.
- Modelling of deadlock in queueing networks using Markov models and discrete event simulation.
- Development of an internationally used open source software package, Ciw.
- Title: Deadlock in open restricted queueing networks.
Oct 2013 - Oct 2014: MSc Operational Research and Applied Statistics, Cardiff University. Distinction.
- Taught topics include: Queueing theory, Game theory, Statistical techniques, Time series, Mathematical Programming, Heuristics.
- Completed dissertation at the University of Twente on an Erasmus placement.
- Dissertation title: Optimising surgery schedules in order to increase operating room utilisation and level beds in the PACU and holding area.
Sept 2010 - May 2013: BSc Mathematics, Aberystwyth University. First Class Honours.
Modelling Deadlock in Open Restricted Queueing Networks Palmer GI, Harper PR, Knight VA Under review.
An Open Framework for the Reproducible Study of the Iterated Prisoners Dilemma Knight VA et al. Journal of open research software.
Learning & Teaching
- Experience of leading computer lab sessions (Python, Simul8, LaTeX, Vensim, Excel) for undergraduate & masters students.
- Mathematics & Statistics support tutor.
- Translation of pedagogic material from English to Welsh.
- Experience of producing new bilingual learning materials (short LaTeX course).
- Key participant in innovative international development initiative leading active learning sessions at the University of Namibia (under the Cardiff University Phoenix Project).
Community Building & Organisation
- Member of the UK OR Society & committee member of SWORDS (South Wales Operational Research Discussion Society).
- Co-organiser of the stochastic modelling stream at Young OR 19.
- Member of organising committee for DjangoCon Europe 2015, Cardiff.
- Active member of PyDiff, the Cardiff Python meetup.
- Help run the School of Mathematics Code Club.
- Regular volunteer and participant at PyCon Namibia (under the Cardiff University Phoenix Project).
- Main developer and maintainer of Ciw (ciw.readthedocs.io), a Python library for simulating queueing networks.
- Experience of modern software development techniques: version control, testing, continuous integration.
- Contributor to the open source project Axelrod.
Bilingual speaker. International experience. Technical topics. Diverse audiences including general public, healthcare practitioners, and member of the Welsh government.
- April 2017 - IMA and OR Society Conference on Mathematics of Operational Research, Aston - Queueing networks, Deadlock and Healthcare
- Feb 2017 - PyCon Namibia, Windhoek - Producing Pretty Plots in Python
- Sept 2016 - PyCon UK, Cardiff - Queueing and Python: pip install ciw
- May 2016 - CORS 2016, Banff - Deadlock in Queueing Networks
- May 2016 - Cynhadledd Wyddonol y CCC, Aberystwyth - Poster: Llwyrglo yn Rhwydweithiau Ciwio (Winner best poster)
- Mar 2016 - 8th IMA International Conference on Quantitative Modelling in the Management of Health and Social Care, London - Using Queueing Networks Modelling to Assess the Impact of the OPICP
- Jan 2016 - PyCon Namibia, Windhoek - Simulating Queues with Ciw
- Sept 2015 - Young OR 19, Aston - Queueing Networks for a Healthcare System, Deadlocking & Reinforcement Learning
- July 2015 - EURO 2015, Glasgow - Queueing Networks for a Healthcare System Deadlocking, Reinforcement Learning & Workforce Planning
- Feb 2015 - Python Namibia 2015, Windhoek - Playing with Reinforcement Learning in Python
Software: Python, LaTeX, VBA, Excel, SPSS, Simul8, HTML, CSS, version control with Git and GitHub.
Languages: English (Fluent), Welsh (Fluent).
- CHOIR Healthcare Operations Research PhD Summer School - University of Twente 2017
- NATCOR Forecasting & Predictive Analysis - Lancaster University 2016
- NATCOR Convex Optimisation - Edinburgh University 2016
- Coleg Cymraeg Cenedlaethol’s Research Skills Programme - Lampeter University 2015 (Welsh Medium)
- NATCOR Combinatorial Optimisation - Southampton University 2015
- NATCOR Simulation - Loughborough University 2015
- Data Mining - Cardiff University 2015
- NATCOR Stochastic Modelling - Lancaster University 2015
References available on request.