Sept 2017 - : Welsh Medium Teaching Associate at Cardiff University’s School of Mathematics
- Module Leader: Preliminary Mathematics II, Datrys Problemau
- Tutorials, Example Classes, and Labs: Preliminary Mathematics I, Cyflwyniad i Theori Tebygolrywdd, Cyfrifiadureg ar gyfer Mathemateg, Algebra Llinol II, Calcwlws Aml-Newidyn a Fector, Dadansoddi Cymhlyg, Cyfresi a Thrawsffurfiau
- Translation of educational resources
- Welsh provision at Maths Support
- Supporting FMSP outreach events
Oct 2014 - Nov 2018: PhD in Applied Stochastic Modelling, Cardiff University.
- Supervisors: Prof. Paul Harper & Dr. Vincent Knight
- Jointly funded by ABUHB & Cardiff University.
- Modelling of patient flows & working at the interface of a healthcare organisation.
- Modelling of deadlock in queueing networks using Markov models and discrete event simulation.
- Development of an internationally used open source software package, Ciw.
- Title: Modelling Deadlock in Queueing Systems.
Oct 2013 - Oct 2014: MSc Operational Research and Applied Statistics, Cardiff University. Distinction.
- Taught topics include: queueing theory, game theory, statistical techniques, time series, mathematical programming, heuristics.
- Completed dissertation at the University of Twente on an Erasmus placement.
- Dissertation title: Optimising surgery schedules in order to increase operating room utilisation and level beds in the PACU and holding area.
Sept 2010 - May 2013: BSc Mathematics, Aberystwyth University. First Class Honours.
- 2018: Ciw: An open source discrete event simulation library Palmer GI, Knight VA, Harper PR, Hawa, AL. Journal of Simulation
- 2018: Modelling Deadlock in Open Restricted Queueing Networks Palmer GI, Harper PR, Knight VA. European Journal of Operational Research.
- 2016: An Open Framework for the Reproducible Study of the Iterated Prisoners Dilemma Knight VA et al. Journal of Open Research Software.
- 2019 - NESTA - Y Lab modelling work with MAWWFRS - £1,606
- 2018 - Coleg Cymraeg Small Grant (Creating Welsh medium multi-media progamming resources) - £2,500
- 2017 - Sustainable Software Institute Fellowship - £3,000
- Applied operational research, in particular healthcare and public services,
- Stochastic simulation,
- Stochastic modelling, graph theory, and queueing theory.
Learning & Teaching
- Delivery of example classes, lectures and tutorials (see Teaching).
- Leading computer lab sessions (Python, Simul8, LaTeX, Vensim, Excel) for undergraduate & masters students.
- Mathematics & Statistics support tutor.
- Translation of pedagogic material from English to Welsh.
- Production of new learning materials in both English and Welsh.
- Key participant in innovative international development initiative leading active learning sessions at the University of Namibia (under the Cardiff University Phoenix Project).
- Supervision of Summer project and Nuffield placement students.
Community Building & Organisation
- Member of the UK OR Society & chair of SWORDS (South Wales Operational Research Discussion Society).
- Member of organising committee for DjangoCon Europe 2015, Cardiff.
- Active member of PyDiff, the Cardiff Python meetup.
- Regular volunteer and participant at PyCon Namibia (under the Cardiff University Phoenix Project).
- Experience of organising conference streams and assisting in conference organisation (Young OR 19, SSI Collaborations Workshop 2018).
- Organiser of a yearly Research Software Development Workshop for PhD students at the School of Mathematics.
- Have lead many outreach activities for school pupils of all ages (from years 5 to 13) in both English and Welsh.
Software: Python, LaTeX, Excel, SPSS, Simul8, version control with Git and GitHub.
Languages: English (Fluent), Welsh (Fluent).
- Main developer and maintainer of Ciw (ciw.readthedocs.io), a Python library for simulating queueing networks.
- Experience of modern software development techniques: version control, automated testing, continuous integration.
- Contributor to the open source project Axelrod.
- The OR Society - Early Career Researcher Workshop - Lancaster University 2018
- Welsh for Adults - Gloywi Iaith CDH001 (Grammar) - Cardiff University 2017/18 (Welsh medium)
- Coleg Cymraeg Cenedlaethol’s Teaching Skills Course - Aberystwyth University 2017 (Welsh Medium)
- CHOIR Healthcare Operations Research PhD Summer School - University of Twente 2017
- NATCOR Forecasting & Predictive Analysis - Lancaster University 2016
- NATCOR Convex Optimisation - Edinburgh University 2016
- Coleg Cymraeg Cenedlaethol’s Research Skills Programme - Lampeter University 2015 (Welsh Medium)
- NATCOR Combinatorial Optimisation - Southampton University 2015
- NATCOR Simulation - Loughborough University 2015
- Data Mining - Cardiff University 2015
- NATCOR Stochastic Modelling - Lancaster University 2015
Bilingual speaker. International experience. Technical topics. Diverse audiences including general public, academics, healthcare practitioners, and member of the Welsh government.
- Sept 2018 - OR60, Lancaster - Poster: Ciw: An open source discrete event simulation library
- June 2018 - Cynhadledd Wyddonol y CCC, Aberystwyth - Dulliau ac Offerynnau ar gyfer Ymchwil Ailgynhyrchiadwy
- April 2018 - School of Mathematics 3MT, Cardiff (2nd place)
- Mar 2018 - STEM for Britain, London - Poster: Modelling Deadlock in Open Restricted Queueing Networks
- Feb 2018 - PyCon Namibia, Windhoek - Agent Based Modelling with Python
- Oct 2017 - PyCon UK, Cardiff - Python for Operational Research in Healthcare
- April 2017 - IMA and OR Society Conference on Mathematics of Operational Research, Aston - Queueing networks, Deadlock and Healthcare
- Feb 2017 - PyCon Namibia, Windhoek - Producing Pretty Plots in Python
- Sept 2016 - PyCon UK, Cardiff - Queueing and Python: pip install ciw
- May 2016 - CORS 2016, Banff - Deadlock in Queueing Networks
- May 2016 - Cynhadledd Wyddonol y CCC, Aberystwyth - Poster: Llwyrglo yn Rhwydweithiau Ciwio (Winner best poster)
- Mar 2016 - 8th IMA International Conference on Quantitative Modelling in the Management of Health and Social Care, London - Using Queueing Networks Modelling to Assess the Impact of the OPICP
- Jan 2016 - PyCon Namibia, Windhoek - Simulating Queues with Ciw
- Sept 2015 - Young OR 19, Aston - Queueing Networks for a Healthcare System, Deadlocking & Reinforcement Learning
- July 2015 - EURO 2015, Glasgow - Queueing Networks for a Healthcare System Deadlocking, Reinforcement Learning & Workforce Planning
- Feb 2015 - Python Namibia 2015, Windhoek - Playing with Reinforcement Learning in Python
References available on request.